Monday, May 1, 2017

Merry, Merry Month of Mayhem

     I am ready for a merry, merry month of mayhem. So ready, I opted for an exercise in narcissism and post a selfie without a special occasion to justify my indulgence. If you want to stretch, you can peculate the red shirt commemorates May day, but surely by this point you all realize I am a fierce of opponent of communism and just about any other rigid system of ideas enslaving the minds of men. In this case, the shirt is just a shirt. Although it is one of the rare brightly colored items of apparel I own.
      May is a little ways passed the official start of spring, but for me it never felt like spring until may arrive. It has been easier to maintain the illusion because April was unusually chilly for South Carolina. It is not entirely unusual for flowers to bloom in the middle of March down here. The warm days are coming consistently now, so I am safe in the assurance spring has arrived.
     When I was younger, may was y favorite month of the year. It was my favorite month because it was full of anticipation. The anticipation of school ending. The anticipation of summer vacation. The best movies were coming. The best comic books were coming. Favorite television shows were ending their seasons with slam bang finales. What was not to love about May? It was a month in I thought anything and wonderful and fun was about to happen. Even if the wonderful and fun stuff never quite met anticipation. Expectations are resentments waiting to be born.
      I am forty now. The change in seasons does not mean much aside from what I am going to wear on any given day The days, weeks, and month come and go without the enthusiasm of youth. But I still have all those memories to mark the times I still think May is my favorite month of the year, if for no other reason than the possibilities it once presented a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment