Wednesday, March 29, 2017

CGI in a Galaxy Far, Far Away


     In case you missed it, I reviewed Rogue One on my movie review blog. Spoilers abound over there, so be careful if for some peculiar reason you have not seen the movie yet. It has made over $1 billion world wide, a box office total which ensures a myriad of future Star Wars Expanded Universe films to come. As long as there are no Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks, I am game.
      There is one point about Rogue One I wanted to address that could not comfortably fit within a film review. Fortunately, I enjoy a broad scope on Gods & Monsters to wax poetic on any topic I choose. So there is a space for me to talk about the uneven quality of the CGI recreations of Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin and Carrie Fisher's Princess Leia Organa.
      First things first, CGI re-creations of deceased actors do not bother me as long as the deceased's family or estate approves. (Yes, I know this is not applicable in Carrie Fisher's case, as she died after Rogue One rendered her younger appearance wish CGI.) The practice seems to creep people out because the re-creations are more are more accurate than another actor in disguise or an impersonator. As the practice occurs more often, the unease will pass.
      If anything bothers me about the CGI re-creations in Rogue One, it was how uneven they are, Judge for yourself with the screen caps above while taking into account my poor eyesight. I think Tarkin is nearly spot on. Princes Leia, however, is not. Is it just me, or does she look more...artificial? Or is it just hr likens is off? Maybe it is a little of both. Regardless, her less than stellar rendition firmly puts me in the camp of not using a CGI Princess Leia to replace the late fisher in the final installment of the current trilogy. It does not feel right for aesthetic reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment