Sunday, December 11, 2016

Still Crazy After All These Forty Years

       Way back in 2010 on my 33rd birthday, I began he tradition of posting the Jimmy Buffett and Martina McBride duet “Trip Around the Sun” every year with the title "A Pirate Looks at _____.” The post title was a play on the popular buffett song 'A Pirate Looks at Forty” while substituting my actually age with forty. I always had the idea, assuming both the blog and I made it to 2016, to switch to “A Pirate Looks at Forty” on y fortieth birthday. The plan was so drenched in Parrot Head fandom, it it crossed the line int self-parody.
       My fortieth birthday has finally arrived. The blog I was writing at the time did not survive past 2013, but I am still here. It was touch and go there for a while, including a dark patch there in which I was my own worst enemy. But that is long sine gone. The desire to follow through with “A Pirate Looks at Forty” needed to be canned. I do not lament not sailing the high seas. I do not touch alcohol. I do not smuggle weed. If I am engaged in existential lament as I enter my fifth decade the lyrics do not represent it accurately. I even opted to skip the old “Trip Around the Sun” standby.
       This birthday, I am going with another favorite performer, Paul Simon. His “Still Crazy After All These Years" feels like a more appropriate choice. Lyrically, at any rate. Just who crazy I am after all these years is a matter best discussed privately among yourselves. Maybe a new birthday tradition is born?   

No comments:

Post a Comment