Monday, August 1, 2016

Getting My Blogging Groove Back

        It is the start of a new month. Every time the first of the month roll around, I say I am going to press full speed ahead into developing my blog into something worth reading. But every month so fr, I have faltered. It is largely because I like to focus, and I imply have not don that yet. Until now, that is. Yes, really. The following is the battle plan for the near future.
       First, I changed the name from Sine Qua Non to Gods & Monsters. Latin phrases are interesting and usually pointed, but they come across as awfully pretentious. It is not wise to make a blog inaccessible from the title on down. Hardly anyone will make it to the posts if they cannot draw some assumptions from the title. The title is from a toast offered by Dr. Victor Frankenstein in The Bride of Frankenstein to "A new world of gods and monsters!” It will probably still be off putting to some—especially the skeleton wearing a crown in the banner—but I like it. The feeling evoked fits in with the theme.
       Speaking of theme, coming up with a workable one has been the tougher challenge for lifting what is now gods & monsters off the ground. I have written this explanation before, but for the sake of thoroughfare, I will do so again. I wrote a blog called Eye of Polyphemus for the decade 2003-2-13. It began as a personal blog to cover my law school days and morphed into a place to vent over my nearly overwhelming health issue when they began piling on. It later settled into a groove of political blogging before devolving into some directions I never really cared about for the sake of visitor number. If you were around during the last days of The Eye, you could tell it was fading for more reasons than just the lack of attention because of my convalescence from my last abdominal surgery. I call this the Macular Degeneration Era of the Eye.
       By the way, I am irked to use the word devolving above. It is a valid word to describe a thing which I regressing. But whether a thing is regressing or progressing, it is still evolving. For some reason, the word evolution is synonymous with changes for the better, so we invent an unnecessary word for the sole purpose of accentuating the negative aspect. Language is a peculiar creature. But I digress.
       I ended The Eye in spring 2014 after a year off the grid because of some “unpleasant' circumstance. I needed to cope with thee new circumstances, and I felt writing about being dumped into a nursing home and all the lovely issues going along with it would not fit as a con continuation of a blog I had already lost interest. So I started up this blog in its original form. There were many dark emotions to purge and a twisted story to tell, as with all things, they passed. As such, the blog has meandered since leaving the nursing home a year and a half ago to settle in a more normal living arrangement. Sp what was next?
       Which leads to the second point. The last year and a half has been the first peaceful time I have enjoyed in over a decade, so I have used it to immerse myself in various interest. I went through a philosophy phase inspired by both recent intersection and long ago apologetic s. I soon became hooked on history podcasts. All the while, I experienced the usual daily encounters that make cause one to stop and think. Yet, I possessed little of my old discipline to park it at the keyboard and write the thoughts down like I used to do. Now I want to make a better effort to do so.
       My final point establishes what Gods & Monsters will be. For one, it is still a personal bog. Blogging is an act of vanity, so one might as well embrace the fact. Not all my experience of recent year have bean written down yet. I plan to complete them all. Because some things imply need to be preserved. Two, while I have steered away from politics, I have been bitten by the bug in recent weeks. You might have noticed a few personal touches in recent weeks. Day to day politics like poll watching and sound bites still does not interest me. They are the main reason I drifted away from politics during the latter days of The Eye. But political science issues still intrigue me. Does that mean my political coverage will be boring. Depends on how much you like dry analysis mixed with sarcasm, because that I how I roll. Finally, we will have interesting points of philosophy and history as I run across them.
       So basically, whatever pique my interest is likely to show up. Hopefully on a more regular basis. The new title some the possibilities up pretty well, does it not? Also hopefully with more outside interest. I was once part of a blogging community. The landscape has certainly changed, but I aim to rejoin the ranks. I remember those old days of launching a blog when you were pretty much performing a concert to an empty theater. In some ways, they were a lot of fun. Maybe steady blogging can bring it all back.

No comments:

Post a Comment