Sunday, October 4, 2015

Lifelines III

       I found the email from the previous post in my inbox at around 10:30 PM. Sonya had sent it only shortly before that then. Presumably, she was hoping I would be in bed and not red it before the meeting the next day. Why else wait until the last minute? The email was chock full of falsehoods which did not even match up to the results of the investigation given officially to the ombudsman. Oh, well. It was my usual habit to stay up late into the night on the internet, so I ran smack into the email before it had barely settled in my inbox.
       My sitter at the time, who shall remain nameless because of her continued association with Oakhaven, was an ally. She believed I was being treated poorly while acknowledging corporate/Oakhaven's history of mistreating the less quiet residents like me. She believed, as did others, the situation had escalated and spiraled out of control so quickly because they were not prepared for me to come back at them repeatedly.
       I read the best parts of Sonya's email out loud. The sitter enjoyed hearty laughs with the over the tops descriptions of management's warm, caring behavior in response to my purple-faced, berserk rages. It was all laughably phony even by Sonya’s standards.
       Sleeping was easy that night, which is unusual when I have a big day ahead of me.
       When morning arrived I was fresh as a daisy. This was also unusual. As mentioned above, I was a night owl who liked to stay on my laptop until all hours. I am not usually a morning person. But I was full of anticipation this morning. The meeting was at 10:00 AM. Michelle and Aysa were not due until 9:00 AM. It was not quite 8:00 AM when I finished eating breakfast, so there was plenty of time for anticipation to gnaw at me.
       Ellen came by my room at around 8:30 AM. She had been on vacation throughout this entire mess, so it was the first time I had seen her since before Christmas. But just because she was not here does not mean she was not neck deep in the quagmire. Someone from corporate had called her at least once to ask if she had talked to me. She told whoever t was she had not, but if I wanted to get in touch with her, I knew how. Ellen was also asked abort the paperwork on the orthopedic knife. She never filled any of it out, and since she was quitting in February to go live with her soon to be stateside military husband, did not care to be bothered with it. Neither did I. Was the paper trail behind the knife important.
       “The ombudsman and I are meeting management at ten,” I told her.
     “That must be why so many people I never see are here this morning,” Ellen said.
       “Oh?” My curiosity was piqued.
       “The CEO is here.”
       “They are bringing out he big dogs. They must really want to get rid of me,” I quipped.
       “Of course, they do,” Ellen said. 'They've complained there is only so much they can do for one person.”
       “They have not done anything excessive for me. What I was asking for now is a right I already have. They just refused to stop blocking it.”
       “I think you should have picked your battles. I thought you were going to drop this one? You'd have plenty more opportunities in the future.'
       “I was going to drop it.”
      “Then why didn't you?”
       I shrugged. “I got caught up in it, I guess. A clash was inevitable t some pint. It might as well be now when I know the law is on my side.”
Looking back, I amazed how naive a statement that was. I knew full well it did not matter if the rules one relied upon were as sold as ancient bedrock, irrationality can take them all down. Which it was about to do. Repeatedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment