Monday, June 1, 2015

Rumors, Bargains, and Lies

       I walked into Paulette’s office Monday morning to inform her the letter was burning a hole on my hard drive ready to launch. The issue of how the letter was supposed to be delivered had never been addressed. I asked whether it should be printed, in which case I would need to either hook up to one or load the file onto a flash drive and find a computer with a printer, or email it, in which case, to whom all does the letter go? She asked how long the letter was. When I told her eighteen pages, she reacted nonplussed. Was he not surprised by the link?
       “Not really. I was expecting you to talk about everything we've ever done to you,” she said.
       Those were her exact words. I found her choice of words odd. It was almost like an admission of wrongdoing, the consequences of Oakhaven as resigned to face. Maybe I was reading too much into it. The atmosphere was a mix of both relief the letter was written and tension over what might happen next. I was not in the mood to over analyze.
       We settled on emailing the letter. I asked to whom I should send it and their addresses. Paulette grabbed a pen and legal pad to scribble it all down. Brock, Sonya, herself, Michelle the ombudsman, and Aysa (pronounced the same as Asia) the assist ombudsman. Keep in mind the names and email addresses were given to me by Paulette. This point will also b important later. A big part of me suspected Paulette included herself only to satisfy her sense of drama, but whatever. I took the page of yellow paper back to my room and emailed the letter to it intended recipients.
       For the record, I thought about including the letter in its entirety here. But I opted not to do that. These blog entries have already covered all the facts I covered in the letter. The only bonus you would receive is scores of cited federal statutes applied to those facts. Even the most zealous law student not want to read that. I wrote the analysis as impenetrable as possible to make my position more intimidating. I will include some other documents as we go along that will help illuminate matters rather than scare off possible challenges.
       I sent the letter off shortly before lunchtime. This was the first Monday after a Thursday Christmas, so I was not expecting to be given any quick response. My expectations turned out incorrect. Sonya came to my room at around three o'clock in the afternoon. Initially, I had high hopes. Sonya had been the one to undue as much damage as possible inflicted by the Caligula incident and the (first) attempt to forcibly place me in a mental institution. She seemed genuinely understanding and friendly even after I reported Oakhaven to DHEC. I thought things might work out for the best. Se asked if I would go with her to Edna the business manager's office to talk. She wanted a witness. I agreed, not thinking too much of the request for a witness.
       We settled into the office. Edna was in her chair behind her desk. Sonya and I turned the two chairs in front of the desk to face each other. She brought out a hard copy of the letter from a briefcase lying on the floor. She wanted confirmation I was declaring three incidents abusive: Brock snapping “Contrary to you belief, I don't break the law,' then storming out. Paulette throwing me out her office over dishonesty over who made the decision to have me involuntarily committed, and Kendra's "We're not here to baby you" comment when I requested the sitters be allowed back into my room rather than the hallway. I agreed those were abuses, but did not consider them as hot button a matter as visitation. Sonya's emphasis n these three issues was the first hint the letter had not been taken as intended. Sonya moved next to the matter of visitation. I then realized things definitely were not going well.
       Sonya held up the letter, turned to her side as though she was carefully studying it, and began to rave over Brock's comprise on visitation. Brock herself had called the compromise from corporate. But we have already established the compromise was the employee handbook's established rule on visit ion by fired employees. I not only objected to the handbook rule, I had spent eleven of eighteen pages arguing why it was unlawful. So Sonya did no know I had read the actual rule from the handbook even though I cited the handbook in the letter. Instead, she thought I would believe it was a compromise devised by Brock even though Brock said it was a compromise devised by corporate. Corporate probably meant Sonya, by the way. See, this is what happens when dishonest people do not communicate with each other.
       So here I am faced with a dilemma. Sonya has not actually read the letter. She is unaware I have read the handbook and therefore know what she is calling a compromise is the established rule Brock initially refused to follow. She does not realize I know what she is presenting to me as something special for my benefit is what I already had, nor does she understand the legal argument I made against it. Regardless of whether it was a rule or compromise, placing a chaperon on a resident's visitor violated federal law. Period. I opted to test a theory rather than point any of this out. When she turned back t look at me, I asked a question to see her reaction.
       “Is this compromise in accordance with federal law?”
      She immediately turned back t reading my letter, as though the answer was there. Well, it was, but her answer was incorrect. She nodded her head vigorously with a “mmm hmm” affirmative while never taking her eyes off the letter. It was interesting Sonya was a medical expert for the corporate legal team. Surely she ought be more skilled at convincingly lying than he was. But she could not look me in the eyes when lying. It was almost funny. In fact, I had a hard time not laughing when she began telling me the compromise was the best she could, corporate respected me highly, and I should not hesitate to bring up any other issues that may come up. All while doing anything and everything to keep from looking me in the eyes.
      I was becoming angry at the insult. Sonya expected me to just roll over because I was too ignorant to realize she was lying to me. But I opted to avoid confronting her about it now. Even though I had not yet spoken to Michelle, she was still in charge of the matter. If corporate/Oakhaven were not acting in good faith, I needed to let her handle it. But I needed to establish my objection to Sonya.
       “Well, I am not going to tolerate a chaperon during my visitations with Courtney,” I said while in the process of standing up and turning towards the door. 
       Sonya put her hand on my shoulder and gave me this sad, puppy dog look as she nodded head in understanding. The faux sympathy angered me even more. I had just told her I was not going to bother with visitation at all, and she could barely contain her happiness as she literally pushed me out the door. Her attitude was the last straw for me. There was no way I could let this stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment